CANDLELIGHT STROLL UNDER THE STARS
Anchoring "Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth"
Members-only preview on Thursday, December 10, 2020, 6-8:30 PM
Friday Dec. 11 & 18, 4-8 PM
Saturday Dec. 12 & 19, 4-8 PM
Sunday Dec. 13 & 20, 4-8 PM
An outdoor-only experience. One-hour, self-guided tours departing every 30-minutes. The last self-guided tour departs at 7 PM.
Museum members free*; Adults $15; Children $10
All tickets must be purchased in advance (including member tickets). No ticket sales at the door.
Tickets sales begin on Monday, November 16, 2020, at 10 AM EST. To receive periodic updates about Candlelight Stroll and more, please join our mailing list by clicking here.
Cancellations: If Candlelight Stroll is canceled due to weather or any other reason by Strawbery Banke, registrants will be notified by email no later than noon on the day of the event.
*Members receive complimentary tickets to the Members-Only Preview Night or the main Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars event based on membership level.
Click here for information about the Sponsor-A-Tree program.
Every year since 1979, Candlelight Stroll at Strawbery Banke has captured 350 years of seasonal and holiday traditions against the backdrop of the museum’s historic houses. This year, due to the pandemic, Strawbery Banke presents “Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars,” focusing on the lights, wreaths, roleplayers, and magic on the exteriors of the museum’s historic buildings.
The museum grounds glow with hundreds of lighted candle lanterns, and house doors and railings are adorned with handmade decorations crafted from live greens and dried flowers and herbs collected from the museum gardens. Visitors stroll along candlelit pathways and are greeted along the way by costumed roleplayers and performers who recreate the traditions of times past.
Even with physical-distancing, exteriors-only safety measures in place, the magic of Candlelight Stroll endures. Strawbery Banke’s Candlelight Stroll is an anchor for the Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth holiday celebration, along with The Music Hall, Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth, and the City of Portsmouth, with this year’s theme being “Let the magic shine through!” Come to Candlelight Stroll and see why Travel + Leisure magazine calls Portsmouth “the Christmas capital of North America.”
Important Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars event & ticket information:
- Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars is an outdoor-only experience to be held in rain, snow, or starlight. The historic homes remain closed to the public due to concerns surrounding COVID-19.
- All museum visitors are asked to review the museum's COVID-19 precautions prior to purchasing tickets and visiting the museum. In order to follow the guidance of the CDC, the NH Department of Health and Human Services, and the Portsmouth Health Officer, all visitors are required to keep a safe distance of at least 6 feet from other people at all times and wear a cloth face covering over mouth and nose.
- All tickets must be pre-purchased/reserved online (including member tickets). Tickets will NOT be sold at the doors of the event. If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact info[at]sbmuseum.org. Tickets for Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond are NOT included with a Candlelight Stroll ticket.
- Candlelight Stroll is a one-hour self-guided tour. To comply with physical-distancing guidelines, a limited number of timed tickets are sold for each time slot. Please arrive for your designated time slot no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your time slot.
- There is NO ON-SITE PARKING for Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars as it is reserved for those with handicap accessible plates or hangtags only. We encourage you to try nearby off-site parking options including Portsmouth's two parking garages: Hanover Street Garage (near Market Square) and Foundry Place Garage (near Sheraton, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites). Please note, there will be no Vintage Christmas Trolley this year.
- Cancellation Policy: If Candlelight Stroll is canceled due to weather or any other reason by Strawbery Banke, registrants will be notified by email no later than noon on the day of the event. Due to the limited capacity of this event, there can be no cancellations or refunds.