CANDLELIGHT STROLL UNDER THE STARS
Anchoring "Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth"
Members-only preview on Thursday, December 10, 2020, 6-8:30 PM
Friday, Dec. 11 & 18, 4-8 PM
Saturday, Dec. 12 & 19, 4-8 PM
Sunday, Dec. 13 & 20, 4-8 PM
An outdoor-only experience. One-hour, self-guided tours departing every 30-minutes. The last self-guided tour departs at 7 PM.
Cancellations: If Candlelight Stroll is canceled due to weather or any other reason by Strawbery Banke, registrants will be notified by email no later than noon on the day of the event.
Museum members free*; Adults $15; Children (ages 5-17) $10; Children under 5 free - ticket required. All tickets must be purchased in advance (including member tickets). No ticket sales at the door.
*Members receive complimentary tickets to the Members-Only Preview Night or the main Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars event based on membership level. Email membership[AT]sbmuseum.org for membership codes.
Prior to purchasing tickets, review COVID-19 precautions, and important event information below. If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please review the ticketing FAQ document. If technical difficulties persist, contact 603.433.1100 or info[at]sbmuseum.org.
Every year since 1979, Candlelight Stroll at Strawbery Banke has captured 350 years of seasonal and holiday traditions against the backdrop of the museum’s historic houses. This year, due to the pandemic, Strawbery Banke presents “Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars,” focusing on the lights, wreaths, roleplayers, and magic on the exteriors of the museum’s historic buildings.
The museum grounds glow with hundreds of lighted candle lanterns, and house doors and railings are adorned with handmade decorations crafted from live greens and dried flowers and herbs collected from the museum gardens. Visitors stroll along candlelit pathways and are greeted along the way by costumed roleplayers and performers who recreate the traditions of times past.
Even with physical-distancing, exteriors-only safety measures in place, the magic of Candlelight Stroll endures. Strawbery Banke’s Candlelight Stroll is an anchor for the Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth holiday celebration, along with The Music Hall, Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth, and the City of Portsmouth, with this year’s theme being “Let the magic shine through!” Come to Candlelight Stroll and see why Travel + Leisure magazine calls Portsmouth “the Christmas capital of North America.”
Many thanks to Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars sponsors:
Important Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars event & ticket information:
- All museum visitors are asked to review the museum's COVID-19 precautions prior to purchasing tickets and visiting the museum. In order to follow the guidance of the CDC, the NH Department of Health and Human Services, and the Portsmouth Health Officer, all visitors are required to keep a safe distance of at least 6 feet from other people at all times and wear a cloth face covering over mouth and nose.
- All tickets must be pre-purchased/reserved online
(including member tickets). Tickets will NOT be sold at the doors of the event. If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please first review the ticketing FAQ document. If technical difficulties persist, contact 603.433.1100 or info[at]sbmuseum.org.
- To help maintain physical distancing, Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars, Strawbery Banke is offering timed ticketing for the event, which is similar to a fast pass at an amusement park. Select a preferred time to attend Candlelight Stroll. Attendees are allowed entry into the event up to 15 minutes after the time selected. For example, if tickets are reserved at 6:00 PM, attendees can enter the event between 6:00 – 6:15 PM.
- Tickets for Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond are NOT included with Candlelight Stroll tickets. To comply with physical-distancing guidelines, skating tickets must be purchased at the TYCO Visitors Center are first-come, first-served. For more information about Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond, please click here.
- Candlelight Stroll is a one-hour self-guided tour. To comply with physical-distancing guidelines, a limited number of timed tickets are sold for each time slot. Please arrive for your designated time slot no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your time slot.
- To help maintain physical distancing, Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars, Strawbery Banke is offering timed ticketing for the event, which is similar to a fast pass at an amusement park. Attendees are allowed entry into the event up to 15 minutes after the time selected.
- The main event entrance is through the gate located in the front of Goodwin Mansion facing Hancock Street.
- There is NO ON-SITE PARKING for Candlelight Stroll Under the Stars as it is reserved for those with handicap accessible plates or hangtags only. We encourage you to try nearby off-site parking options including Portsmouth's two parking garages: Hanover Street Garage (near Market Square) and Foundry Place Garage (near Sheraton, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites). Please note, there will be no Vintage Christmas Trolley this year.
- If Candlelight Stroll is canceled due to weather or any other reason by Strawbery Banke, registrants will be notified by email no later than noon on the day of the event. Due to the limited capacity of this event, there can be no cancellations or refunds.