Ghosts on the Banke -- a family-friendly Halloween event
Members $4; Non-members $8 ( children under 1, free)
Due to COVID-19, the Ghosts on the Banke event is postponed until 2021.
Come and meet the Ghosts on the Banke at Strawbery Banke’s famous Halloween celebration. Long-dead sea captains, 17th-century shopkeepers, and wayward pirates haunt the streets of Portsmouth’s oldest neighborhood as you trick or treat safely from house to historic house. Tickets available at the door. $8 per person (adult or child over 1-year-old; children 1 or under, free). Half-price admission for members.
Ghosts on the Banke features:
- Safely trick-or-treat. Jack-O-Lanterns light the way to step over the threshold of time and meet the "Ghosts on the Banke." Discover pirate treasure, visit with the wacky witch, look into the future with guidance from the gypsy fortune teller.
- Catch a ghostly tale. Community members bring history back to life with spooky plays, skits, and interactive improvisation throughout the evening.
- Light up the night and warm weary bones by the bonfire.
- Figtree Kitchen Cafe offers seasonal eats, treats, and beverages in the TYCO Visitors Center.
- Pickwick's at the Banke museum store is decorated for Halloween, with all sorts of magic happening!
Click here to view a video of Ghosts on the Banke at Strawbery Banke Museum.
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
17th-Century Sherburne House Archaeology (virtual mini-lecture)
Tuesday, April 13, 2021, at 4 PM EST
Join Alexandra Martin, Museum Archaeologist, as she discusses the findings of the Archaeological Field School during the 2019 excavation at the c.1695 Sherburne House. Free and open to the public. Preregistration required.
Virtual Homeschool Day: Archaeology Myth-Busters!
Thursday, April 15, 2021, 2:30 PM EST
Join Alexandra Martin, Museum Archaeologist, as she dispels some of the myths about her work. Through an interactive slideshow and a lively conversation, learn what archaeology is really like.
American Girls Virtual Book Club
Session III: Meet Molly: An American Girl; Tuesday, April 27 - Tuesday, June 8, 2021
Get to know historical fiction characters from the American Girl Doll series with the Strawbery Banke American Girls Book Club. Designed for ages 6+
Guided Mother's Day Tours
Sunday, May 9, 2021, from 10 AM - 3 PM
Join Strawbery Banke for a special Mother's Day tour celebrating Puddle Dock families and their matriarchs. During a 60-minute guided tour, explore three historic houses, meet a roleplayer, and learn the meaning of family throughout history.
2021 Virtual Archaeology Field School
Monday, June 21 - Friday, July 2, 2021
6 spaces remaining!
This virtual online course is intended to offer students in the fields of archaeology, anthropology, history, or related fields training in archaeological methodology.