A VIRTUAL AMERICAN CELEBRATION
Celebrate American heritage and Independence Day with a Virtual American Celebration. Meet a centuries-spanning range of historic interpreters. Past participants in “American Lives: A Timeline of American History” have provided videos of their living history and costumed re-enactments, presenting American history from 1637 to 1945.
Click here for a special presentation of selections from the Declaration of Independence by members of the NH Congressional Delegation.
Enter the event!
In place of admission, please consider making a tax-deductible gift to the Strawbery Banke Fund.
Guest reenactors and performers include:
- Salem Trayned Band, discussing the settlement of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1637
- Tammy Denease, portraying Joan Jackson, 1710
- His Majesty's Tenth Regiment of Foot, Infantry unit of the British Army during the Revolution, 1775
- Jay MacDougall, portraying John Stavers, 1777
- Susan Fineman, discussing the history of one-room schoolhouses in NH, 1830s-1910s
- Nancy Dickinson, portraying Sarah Parker Rice Goodwin, 1870
- NE Woman Suffrage Association: Puddle Dock Chapter, showcasing Women's Suffrage, 1916
- Maddie Beihl, portraying Sarah Shapiro, 1919
- Amy Warnock, portraying Martha Smith Kimball, 1920
- Bloody Historical, communication during WWII, 1945
A Virtual American Celebration is generously sponsored by Exeter Hospital, Fidelity Investments, and People's United Bank.
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
"Hit the Decks" Self-Guided Garden Tour
Saturday, May 15, 2021; 10 AM - 3 PM
Free and open to the public. Enjoy Strawbery Banke Museum in bloom with a self-guided garden tour during "Historic Homes Day" of Hit the Decks. Start a self-guided tour outside of the TYCO Visitors Center, be greeted by Museum staff, and collect a Visitor's Guide including information on the Museum's historical gardens and landscapes. COVID-19 protocols followed. No parking on site due to a private event. Click here for nearby parking options.
Exploring Portsmouth's Past Guided Tours
Saturday, May 29 - Monday, May 31, 2021; 10 AM - 3 PM
In this 90-minute guided tour, explore four historic houses, meet a costumed roleplayer, and discover how the Puddle Dock Neighborhood evolved in a response to economic, social, political, and cultural challenges and changes.
2021 Historic House Season
Saturday, June 19 - Sunday, October 17, 2021; 10 AM - 5 PM daily.
Strawbery Banke Museum reopens for the season offering visitors the chance to explore over 300+ years of history, from Indigenous history to the present day, in the Puddle Dock neighborhood. Tour historic houses on original foundations, meet costumed roleplayers, watch traditional crafts demonstrations and explore heirloom gardens.