THOMAS BAILEY ALDRICH MEMORIAL GARDEN
This 1908 Colonial Revival garden was created between 1908 and 1913 as a memorial to author Thomas Bailey Aldrich, next to the Aldrich House he grew up in with his grandfather. These stylized gardens were a romanticized interpretation of gardening during the Colonial era.
The Aldrich Garden is the oldest continuously planted garden on the Museum’s grounds. It was completely restored in 2008 with cedar-edged beds, brick pathways, heirloom plants, and a handicapped accessible entrance through the summerhouse.
The Garden features the most valuable part of our living collection: a century-old circular grove of native hemlocks. The grove was planted at a time when industrialization was taking over the natural landscape.
Downloadable Garden Map (PDF)
Exhibit Panel (PDF)
Hemlock Wooly Adelgid