THE GOODWIN GARDEN
The Goodwin Garden was recreated in this location when the Goodwin Mansion was moved from its original site on Islington Street to Hancock Street in 1963. The lush "carpet garden" is based on an 1862 landscape plan of the original site and Sarah Parker Goodwin's detailed 1870 diary. Mrs. Goodwin was (and "is") an avid and accomplished gardener.
This garden features bedding annuals and plants from around the world such as weigelia, a shrub first planted in New Hampshire by Sarah Goodwin. In 2004, The Victorian Society in America presented Strawbery Banke Museum with The Preservation Award for the restoration work done in the Goodwin garden and hothouse.