A virtual program presented by the NH Theatre Project and Strawbery Banke Museum based on the play Well-Behaved Women by Jess Marbacher
Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 10 AM | Member preview at 9 AM
Free and open to the public.
Strawbery Banke Museum and the NH Theatre Project present a virtual workshop in honor of the centennial of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote.
A virtual staged reading of NHTP Youth Repertory Company Alum Jes Marbacher's play Well-Behaved Women is available to the public starting on Tuesday, October 27, 2020, via the Strawbery Banke website. The performance presents NHTP company artists in the role of 19th-century suffragettes as they battle for equality. In addition, corresponding history curriculum is provided for each reading and is geared towards grades for grades 6 - 12. Each lesson encourages students to utilize chronological thinking and explore historical research using primary and secondary sources, to practice historic comprehension and analysis, and to relate historical issues to the issues of today.
Many thanks to sponsors:
Denise A. Poulos, Esq.
The women's suffrage movement emphasizes the importance of a U.S. citizen's right to vote. Suffragists fought for this right for over 70 years and ultimately changed the world through their dedicated work and activism. In one week, the United States will hold the 2020 presidential election. Although the current circumstances in the world make voting more difficult, it is so important to practice the right to vote.
For more information about the election, voting, politics, and how to get involved, please visit the websites of the following local and national nonpartisan organizations:
- League of Women Voters of NH: encouraging informed and engaged voter participation in government.
- New Hampshire Liberty Alliance: a nonpartisan coalition working to increase individual freedom in New Hampshire
- Citizens Count: a nonpartisan non-profit with a mission of making citizen engagement easier by providing unbiased information about issues and candidates.
- Open Democracy: a nonpartisan organization working to increase civic participation and restore an accountable government in New Hampshire and the nation
- OnTheIssues: a nonpartisan, non-profit organization providing information to voters about candidates.
- Vote Smart: a non-profit, nonpartisan research organization that collects and distributes information on candidates for public office in the United States.
- Ballot Ready: an organization that provides personalized, nonpartisan information to voters in all 50 states.