Guided Holiday House Tours
Guided Holiday House tours are postponed until December 2022.
Guided tours on the hour from 10 am - 2 pm. The last 90-minute tour begins at 2 PM. Tour is recommended for ages 5+. Advanced ticket purchase recommended as a limited number of tickets are sold for each guided tour.
Members free; Adults $15; Children (ages 5-17) $10; Children (under 5) free; Military, Military families, veterans free.
Visitors can keep the holiday spirit alive by touring five beautifully decorated houses at Strawbery Banke Museum. This 90-minute, fast-paced program, showcases seasonal and holiday traditions of years past. In small groups guided by a museum educator, participants trace the history of winter holidays and celebrations in New England and learn how traditions evolved, expanded, and changed over the centuries.
- Chase House (1762): Explore the decorated Chase's family home, where winter was a time for entertaining and feasting.
- Goodwin Mansion (1870): Experience the height of the Victorian period and a Christmas celebration as Mrs. Goodwin prepares a Victorian Christmas.
- Shaprio House (1919): Share in the experience of a Jewish immigrant family who came from Ukraine to Portsmouth in the early 20th century. Mrs. Shapiro prepares a Hanukkah celebration in her 1919 Russian Jewish kitchen.
- Abbott House (1943): Portsmouth is in the midst of World War II and the Abbotts await news of their soldier fighting in Europe.
- Wheelwright (1780): Experience how people dealt with the cold in the 18th century and learn how the winter months came to be a time of celebration.
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
2021 Historic House Season
Daily through Sunday, October 17, 2021,
10 AM-5 PM.
Explore over 300+ years of history, from Indigenous history to the present day, in the Puddle Dock neighborhood. Tour historic houses on original foundations, meet costumed roleplayers, watch traditional crafts demonstrations and explore heirloom gardens.
Vintage & Vine Online Auction
Now through Sunday, October 10, 2021
Browse, Bid, and Buy popular and exclusive items in the 2021 Vintage & Vine Online Silent Auction. Whether shopping for yourself or getting a headstart on the holidays, there is something for everyone.
Ghosts on the Banke - A Family-Friendly Halloween Event
BOTH NIGHTS SOLD OUT!
Trick-or-treat safely outdoors from house to historic house with Jack-o'-lanterns lighting the way of Portsmouth's oldest waterfront neighborhood. COVID-19 precautions followed.
Saturday, November 13, 2021, 10 AM-6 PM
Strawbery Banke Museum hosts the 2021 Dawnland StoryFest, New Hampshire's Annual Indigenous Storytelling Festival. This year's festival is held online via Zoom and is dedicated in memory of Wolf Song, a well-respected and much loved Vermont Abenaki traditional storyteller. Free to attend. Suggested donation of $10. Preregistration required.
Historical Fiction Writing Virtual Homeschool Program
Tuesdays, Nov. 2-30, 2021, 9-10 AM
Learn the art of creative writing through the lens of history. Working with a professional author, students hone their writing skills, use real historical primary and secondary sources, and develop their imaginations.