HOLIDAY HOUSE TOURS -- 90 MINUTE GUIDED TOURS
Due to COVID-19, Holiday House Tours are postponed until 2021.
Guided tours on the hour from 10 am - 2 pm
(Last 90-minute tour begins at 2 pm)
Advanced ticket purchase recommended as a limited number of tickets are sold for each guided tour.
Visitors can keep the holiday spirit alive by touring five beautifully decorated houses at Strawbery Banke Museum. This 90-minute, fast-paced program, showcases seasonal and holiday traditions of years past. In small groups guided by a museum educator, participants trace the history of winter holidays and celebrations in New England and learn how traditions evolved, expanded, and changed over the centuries. Guided tours are offered on the hour and the last tour starts at 2 pm. Tour is recommended for ages 5+.
- CHASE HOUSE (1762): Explore the decorated Chase's family home, where winter was a time for entertaining and feasting.
- GOODWIN MANSION (1870): Experience the height of the Victorian period and a Christmas celebration as Mrs. Goodwin prepares a Victorian Christmas.
- SHAPIRO HOUSE (1919): Share in the experience of a Jewish immigrant family who came from Ukraine to Portsmouth in the early 20th century. Mrs. Shapiro prepares a Hanukkah celebration in her 1919 Russian Jewish kitchen.
- ABBOTT HOUSE (1943): Portsmouth is in the midst of World War II and the Abbotts await news of their soldier fighting in Europe.
- WHEELWRIGHT (1780): Experience how people dealt with the cold in the 18th century and learn how the winter months came to be a time of celebration.
TICKET COST + INFORMATION:
- Strawbery Banke members: free*
- Adults: $15.00
- Children (ages 5 - 17): $10
- Children (under 5): free
- Military, Miltary families, & Veterans: free*
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
17th-Century Sherburne House Archaeology (virtual mini-lecture)
Tuesday, April 13, 2021, at 4 PM EST
Join Alexandra Martin, Museum Archaeologist, as she discusses the findings of the Archaeological Field School during the 2019 excavation at the c.1695 Sherburne House. Free and open to the public. Preregistration required.
Virtual Homeschool Day: Archaeology Myth-Busters!
Thursday, April 15, 2021, 2:30 PM EST
Join Alexandra Martin, Museum Archaeologist, as she dispels some of the myths about her work. Through an interactive slideshow and a lively conversation, learn what archaeology is really like.
American Girls Virtual Book Club
Session III: Meet Molly: An American Girl; Tuesday, April 27 - Tuesday, June 8, 2021
Get to know historical fiction characters from the American Girl Doll series with the Strawbery Banke American Girls Book Club. Designed for ages 6+
Guided Mother's Day Tours
Sunday, May 9, 2021, from 10 AM - 3 PM
Join Strawbery Banke for a special Mother's Day tour celebrating Puddle Dock families and their matriarchs. During a 60-minute guided tour, explore three historic houses, meet a roleplayer, and learn the meaning of family throughout history.
2021 Virtual Archaeology Field School
Monday, June 21 - Friday, July 2, 2021
6 spaces remaining!
This virtual online course is intended to offer students in the fields of archaeology, anthropology, history, or related fields training in archaeological methodology.