Guided Holiday House Tours
Guided Holiday House tours are postponed until December 2022.
Guided tours on the hour from 10 am - 2 pm. The last 90-minute tour begins at 2 PM. Tour is recommended for ages 5+. Advanced ticket purchase recommended as a limited number of tickets are sold for each guided tour.
Members free; Adults $15; Children (ages 5-17) $10; Children (under 5) free; Military, Military families, veterans free.
Visitors can keep the holiday spirit alive by touring five beautifully decorated houses at Strawbery Banke Museum. This 90-minute, fast-paced program, showcases seasonal and holiday traditions of years past. In small groups guided by a museum educator, participants trace the history of winter holidays and celebrations in New England and learn how traditions evolved, expanded, and changed over the centuries.
- Chase House (1762): Explore the decorated Chase's family home, where winter was a time for entertaining and feasting.
- Goodwin Mansion (1870): Experience the height of the Victorian period and a Christmas celebration as Mrs. Goodwin prepares a Victorian Christmas.
- Shaprio House (1919): Share in the experience of a Jewish immigrant family who came from Ukraine to Portsmouth in the early 20th century. Mrs. Shapiro prepares a Hanukkah celebration in her 1919 Russian Jewish kitchen.
- Abbott House (1943): Portsmouth is in the midst of World War II and the Abbotts await news of their soldier fighting in Europe.
- Wheelwright (1780): Experience how people dealt with the cold in the 18th century and learn how the winter months came to be a time of celebration.