Baby Animals: Heritage Breeds at the Banke
Saturday, April 22–Sunday, April 30, 2023, 10-4 PM
Rain or shine under a heated tent.
Click here to purchase tickets for the Children's Program with Baby Animals. Scroll down this page for more information about this popular program for children ages 4-8.
About the event:
Learn about domestic livestock typical on coastal northern New England farms from the 17th century to the present day at this family-friendly and educational event. Peter Cook, Guest Curator, and expert breeders from NH, ME, MA, and NY farms share stories and answer visitors’ questions about the rare heritage breeds, their unique characteristics, special care, and importance in today's world.
Petting is not allowed for the animals' and visitors' health and safety.
Enjoy demonstrations, such as weaving, and on Sundays, April 23 & 30, Dan Smith, Restoration Assistant and Museum Beekeeper, performs a honey extraction demonstration in the Lawrence J. Yerdon Visitor Center Lecture Hall from 11 AM to 2 PM. Demonstrations are included with event tickets.
Pickwick's at the Banke, the Museum store, and Liberty Fare Dining are open during the event.
2023 participating farms, breeders, and animal educators included:
- Newly-hatched chicks, turkeys, and ducklings
- American Guinea hogs and piglets, Timber Haven Farm (Warwick, MA)
- Clun Forest sheep and lambs, Riverbank Farm (Salisbury, NH)
- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs and piglets, Gentile Family Homestead (Fitzwilliam, NH)
- Kerry cattle and calves, Kerry Cattle Association (Westminster, MA)
- Jacob sheep and lambs, Jacob Fleece Farm (Gray, ME)
- Lincoln Longwool sheep and lambs, Rocks and Rills Farm (Hancock, NH)
- Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats and kids, Tiny Hill Farm (Milton Mills, NH)
- Ossabaw Island hogs and piglets, Armstrong Acres (New Durham, NH)
- Shetland sheep and lambs, Echo Valley Farm (Limerick, ME)
- Silver Fox rabbits and kittens, Morgan Family Homestead (Berwick, ME)
- Soay sheep and lambs, Saffron & Honey Farm (Windsor, ME)
- Members (ages 1+): $5 or free depending on membership level. Join Now!
- Nonmembers (ages 1+): $10
- Children under 1: free, ticket required
Volunteering at the Event:
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old. Families are welcome but all minors must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Tasks include helping with the animals, ticketing, and check-in, welcoming and directing guests, assisting with heirloom seed giveaways, and staffing the Museum information table. Click here to learn more and sign-up.
Children's Program with Baby Animals:
Sunday, April 23– Sunday, April 30, 2023
Morning session: 9-10 AM
NEW! Afternoon session: 4-5 PM
Rain or shine under a heated tent
Presented for an hour before and after the event is open to the public, the Children's Program is led by a heritage breeder and educator and is designed to give children ages 4-8 an opportunity to meet the baby lambs, kids, chicks, and other animals up close. Tickets for the Children’s Program include a breakfast or afternoon snack, admission for up to two accompanying parents or guardians, and all-day admission to the main event. Limited space is available for each session. Members $20. Nonmembers $25. Click here to purchase tickets for the Children's Program with Baby Animals.
There is NO onsite parking for Baby Animals: Heritage Breeds at the Banke. Event attendees are encouraged to park at nearby offsite parking options including:
- Hanover Street Garage (near Market Square)
- Foundry Place Garage (near Sheraton, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites).
If there has been an error with a ticket order, please contact Strawbery Banke within 24 hours of the ticket purchase. The Museum will work with the ticket purchaser within the 24-hour window, as availability allows, to make the adjustments requested. For ticket order errors contact Sarah Regan, Donor and Visitor Services Associate, at sregan[at]sbmuseum.org or 603.241.1644.
Due to the limited capacity of this event, there can be no refunds. Additionally, Strawbery Banke is unable to accommodate requests for purchased tickets to be transferred to a different date outside of the 24-hour window.
Baby Animals: Heritage Breeds at the Banke 2022 is presented by: