Decorating for Candlelight Stroll
Each year, the curator of historic landscapes and horticulture staff at Strawbery Banke begin hand-crafting more than 3000 decorations used throughout (and on the doors of) the 32 museum buildings featured in the annual Candlelight Stroll holiday event. Throughout the season, a wonderful crew of volunteers dries an amazing selection of heirloom botanicals for a team of dedicated volunteers to work with.
No experience is necessary to join the ‘elves’ and help craft the décor and learn the secrets of original holiday décor.
The workshops/work parties begin the first week in November, in the museum’s historic Stoodley’s Tavern (17 Hancock Street), making Stroll decorations.
Each morning begins at 9:30 with coffee and an orientation. The workshop lasts until 12 noon. Each Wednesday the team enjoys a potluck lunch for all the volunteers.
Stroll Training day: Nov TBD (Monday. from 9:30 – 12:00) for new volunteers and anyone who wants a refresher on how to put together holiday decorations. Additional training will be offered throughout Stroll decorating workshop days for new volunteers.
Volunteer Stroll Decorating Workshops (9:30am-12:00pm)
- Week 1: (Monday training), Nov. 6-9 (Tues-Fri) Dried decorations, arrangements, wreaths & ornaments.
- Week 2: (Mon-Fri) Dried decorations, arrangements, wreaths & ornaments. Begin work with fresh greens; dried flower project overlap
- Week 3: (Mon-Wednesday plus Friday) No workshop on Thanksgiving Work with fresh greens
- Week 4: (Mon-Friday) finalize projects and start decorating buildings, move extra supplies to Jones House.
- December 6th (Fri.), last day to place decor, Clean up workspace. Potluck lunch at 12:00 in Stoodleys followed by a tour of the decorated houses at 1:00
Then, throughout the seven nights of Candlelight Stroll, volunteers help teach the process of making period decorations and offer hands-on crafts in Jones House. Please e-mail horticulture 'AT' SBMuseum 'DOT' org with questions and/or to sign up for the November workshops.