HOLIDAY HOUSE TOURS -- 90 MINUTE GUIDED TOURS
Thursday, December 26 - Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Guided tours on the hour from 10 am - 2 pm
(Last 90-minute tour begins at 2 pm)
Visitors can keep the holiday spirit alive by touring five beautifully decorated houses at Strawbery Banke Museum. This 90-minute, fast-paced, multi-sensory program, showcases seasonal and holiday traditions of years past. In small groups guided by a museum educator, participants trace the history of winter holidays and celebrations in New England and learn how traditions evolved, expanded, and changed over the centuries. Guided tours are offered on the hour and the tour starts at 2 pm.
Tour is recommended for ages 5+.
- CHASE HOUSE (1762): Explore the decorated Chase's family home, where winter was a time for entertaining and feasting.
- GOODWIN MANSION (1870): Experience the height of the Victorian period and a Christmas celebration as Mrs. Goodwin prepares a Victorian Christmas.
- SHAPIRO HOUSE (1919): Share in the experience of a Jewish immigrant family who came from Ukraine to Portsmouth in the early 20th century. Mrs. Shapiro prepares a Hanukkah celebration in her 1919 Russian Jewish kitchen.
- ABBOTT HOUSE (1943): Portsmouth is in the midst of World War II and the Abbotts await news of their soldier fighting in Europe.
- WHEELWRIGHT (1780): Experience how people dealt with the cold in the 18th century and learn how the winter months came to be a time of celebration.
TICKET COST + INFORMATION:
- Strawbery Banke members: free*
- Adults: $15.00
- Children (ages 5 - 17): $10
- Children (under 5): free*
- Family (2 adults + 2 children 5 - 17): $60.00
- Military, Miltary families, & Veterans: free*
*Tickets available at the door.
To purchase tickets in advance, please click here.
FEATURED EVENTS & EXHIBITS
A cultural, community and economic initiative to restore and lease underutilized properties at Strawbery Banke Museum in the historic center of downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Port of Portsmouth
New maritime exhibit in the Montrone Family Gallery in the Yeaton House.
Strawbery Banke hosts seasonal and signature events throughout the year. For a video overview, click here.